At Access BDD, the safety and well-being of our employees and partners are paramount. That’s why we are excited to introduce our new health and safety initiative, B WISE.
B WISE has been designed by our very own technical manager Mike Gilmartin to keep you safe, reduce accidents, and streamline your daily routines, whether you’re an office staff member or a field technician. In this blog post, we’ll explore the critical issues associated with poor health and safety practices, delve into the reasons behind them, and showcase how B WISE can make a significant difference.
The Consequences of Poor Health and Safety
Before we dive into the details of B WISE, let’s examine the sobering consequences of neglecting health and safety in the workplace:
- Injuries and Fatalities: Workplace accidents can result in life-changing injuries or even tragic fatalities, impacting employees, their families, and the entire organisation.
- Lost Time: When accidents occur, employees may require time off for recovery, leading to lost productivity and project delays.
- Morale and Staffing: A poor safety record can lead to low morale among employees and high turnover rates, making it difficult to retain skilled professionals.
- Increased Costs: Dealing with injuries and accidents can be expensive, raising the overall cost of doing business.
- Reputation: A tarnished safety record can harm your company’s reputation, making it challenging to attract customers and top talent.
Introducing B WISE: Your Path to Safer Operations
B WISE is more than just a poster; it’s a systematic checklist and visual cue designed to enhance routine processes. Placed strategically near the exits of work vehicles and office buildings, this chart serves as a practical reminder for employees to ensure they are adequately prepared for the day, ultimately reducing accidents, resource wastage, stress, distractions, and panic. While major safety concerns are often well-publicised, it’s the everyday, mundane routines that can be overlooked, leading to unnecessary risks.
B – Body:
- Rest: Adequate rest improves productivity, focus, and decision-making while reducing stress.
- Food: Proper nutrition is crucial for health and concentration.
- Medication: Accessibility to essential medications is vital for functioning effectively.
- Stretching: Stretching can prevent injury and reduce fatigue.
- Water: Dehydration can lead to risky situations and should never be overlooked.
W – Weather:
- Heat: Protect yourself from the sun with appropriate clothing, shade, hats, and sunscreen.
- Snow: Equip yourself with shovels, salt, and suitable footwear for snowy conditions.
- Cold: Layer clothing to stay comfortable during temperature fluctuations.
- Rain: Plan for wet conditions, protect power cords, and consider alternative work areas.
I – Inspections:
- Fuel: Ensure sufficient fuel for the day or plan refueling stops.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance prevents breakdowns and disruptions.
- License: Verify driver’s licenses, registration, and insurance, along with professional licenses and other identification.
- Tires: Maintain and replace tires as needed for safety.
- Wipers/Fluid: Ensure visibility by keeping windows clean.
S – Safety:
- First Aid Kit: A well-stocked first aid kit is essential for treating injuries.
- Hearing Protection: Protect your hearing from loud tools.
- Safety Glasses: Prevent eye injuries during various tasks.
- Anti-viral: Carry masks, hand sanitiser, and disinfectant wipes to protect against illnesses.
- Footwear: Wear appropriate footwear and use floor protection instead of removing shoes.
- Hand Protection: Use cut-resistant gloves when necessary.
E – Equipment:
- Jobs of the Day: Ensure all necessary equipment is safely loaded and organised.
- Tools: Have all required tools for safe and efficient work.
- Batteries: Avoid shortcuts and repetitive motion injuries by maintaining tool batteries.
- Spare Parts: Eliminate distractions by having the right parts on hand.
Incorporating B WISE into your daily routine is a commitment to a safer, more efficient workplace. By addressing the often-overlooked aspects of health and safety, we can protect our employees, preserve our resources, and strengthen our reputation. Together, we’ll elevate safety standards and create a more secure environment for everyone involved in our operations.